The Sensing and Intuition scale represents the greatest potential for communication differences between people, since it really influences one?s worldview.? And, when you remember that Sensing and Intuition are the two preferences for the cycle of behavior that has to do with Gathering INFORMATION it?s easy to understand why the potential for confusion and chaos exists in giving communication when you don?t understand and recognize someone?s preference.?
Intuitive types are motivated by change and get enthusiastic about doing things differently and they want to share their inspirational ideas that they gained through their Intuition.? These ideas start as abstract concepts, often not too complete with details.??
?Sensing types may be skeptical of theoretical concepts and want to see concrete evidence that the theory presented will work.? Sensors want to hear and see specifics and factual information that is linked to reality and presented in a step-by-step format.? They will ask practical questions and will want the details or the specific steps described.
Intuitive types usually see a lot of questions as being overly limiting, nitpicky, challenging or demonstrating a lack of confidence.? When the Intuitive type is unable to ground ideas with facts and details, the Sensing type will see the information being presented as unrealistic and impractical.
Intuitive types tend to use metaphors, analogies, and other abstract language.? They use theoretical words and concepts.? Sensing types prefer to speak in language that is literal and descriptive.? These two ways of using language are quite different and can block effective communication.
Sensors in communication
- Anchored in reality & common sense
- Practical & realistic
- Observant & attend to details
- Immediately apply communication
- Seek facts, details & concrete examples
- Like step-by-step explanations
- Trust what has been tried & proven
- Comfortable with familiarity & practicality
When Communicating with Sensors
- Be practical with ideas that are down to earth
- Present information sequentially
- Show a plan & process for change
- Use words that relate to sensory images
Intuitives in communication
- Are open to possibilities
- Anticipate & create change
- Are future oriented ? see trends
- Generate ideas
- Become bored with details
- Like to brainstorm
- See patterns & the big picture
- Don?t like to be hampered by limits
When Communicating with Intuitives
- Provide an overview first
- Suspend reality when brainstorming
- Share main points, then detail
- Show future possibilities of your ideas